As owners, we want the very best for our pets, and sometimes that means looking to nature for all-natural, holistic products that can help our animals feel and live better. As we explore more natural medicines for ourselves, we’ve begun to look for the same types of plant-based treatments for our best friends. A great option when considering plant-based wellness for our pets is cannabidiol, or “CBD.”
CBD is a plant-based compound found in the hemp plant. It is non-intoxicating, which means giving it to your pet won’t impair them. CBD oil is extracted from commercially grown hemp, which is a species of the Cannabis sativa plant that produces a high amount of CBD, and a low amount of tetrahydrocannabinol, or “THC,” which is the compound in marijuana that delivers a feeling of euphoria or “high.”
CBD can be extracted from the hemp plant as isolate or full spectrum oil. In an isolate, only CBD has been extracted; no other plant parts are present. In a full spectrum oil, CBD has been extracted with other cannabinoids and phytonutrients, present in the plant. When the beneficial molecules of the hemp plant have been extracted in a full spectrum oil, they are able to work together synergistically to produce the maximum benefit to your pet that CBD can offer. This congruence of plant products is referred to as the “entourage effect.”
VETCBD uses full spectrum CBD oil extracted from responsibly-grown, American hemp so that your pet gets the full benefit of the hemp plant.
If you’re curious about giving your pet CBD, we’re here to help. Our products are specially formulated by veterinary professionals who specialize in medicinal cannabis.
Why Would I Give My Pet CBD?
CBD is beneficial to your pet for multiple reasons. It’s a safe and all-natural alternative which can help a restless pet to relax and remain calm. CBD can help support your pet’s brain and joint health, giving them an overall wellness benefit that can help them live healthier, happier lives.
The most commons benefits a pet can receive from CBD are as follows:
- CBD supports joint mobility. A recent study found that CBD treatment in dogs significantly improved their ability to move freely and without pain, with no notable side effects.
- CBD supports normal brain function. CBD interacts with an animal’s own endocannabinoid system. This system (also found in humans) plays a role in things like mood, appetite, sleep, memory, and stress. Because CBD interacts with the receptors in this system, it is thought it can help relieve issues a pet may be experiencing with them. Because our pets’ brains are full of endocannabinoid receptors (many more than are found in the human brain), the use of CBD oil to support brain function in our pets can be incredibly beneficial, and can contribute to healthy memory and overall brain health.
- CBD helps support normal GI system function. Nothing is worse than seeing your pet suffering from a gastrointestinal issue. Whether they are experiencing nausea and vomiting from something they ate, you just want them back on all four paws. CBD oil may be able to help soothe your pet’s GI tract.
- CBD helps to calm your pet. it may be effective in keeping your pet calm, even when you are away. A pet that becomes restless when apart from their owner can cause stress and harm to themselves and to their owner (not to mention to their owner’s belongings). Giving your pet CBD can reduce this restlessness and help keep them calm and relaxed.
How Much CBD Should I Give My Pet?
While there are currently no standard guidelines indicating CBD dosage for your pets, you can make an informed decision about the amount of CBD oil that will benefit your pet based on your pet’s weight and health. You should always consult your pet’s veterinary professional before starting any kind of treatment, including CBD oil treatment. When considering CBD treatment, consider these variables:
- Your pet’s weight
- The potency (concentration) of your CBD oil
- Your pet’s overall health
A good rule of thumb is to begin your pet’s CBD dosage by offering them .2mg of CBD oil per pound of body weight. Thus, if your pet weighs 10 pounds, you would give them a dosage of 2mg of CBD oil.
It’s always best to start off with a smaller dose, and increase the dose as tolerated and as needed. While CBD is generally well tolerated by pets, you may need less CBD than the standard dose.
Here are some suggested dosing guidelines for VETCBD’s products based on the most common uses of CBD for pets.
|Pet’s Weight||CBD Dosage from Tincture Dropper|
|Above 100 pounds||2.5+ml|
How Long Does CBD Take to Start Working?
You’ll be happy to know that the full effects of a CBD oil treatment can be experienced by your pet within about 1 – 2 hours after administration. While CBD can begin to work within five minutes after dosage, the full benefit of the treatment may take up to two hours.
How Long Does it Last?
The effects of a single dose of CBD oil will be enough for your pet for approximately 8 – 12 hours. Your pet’s own metabolism of the CBD may vary based on his or her health, size, and the concentration of CBD oil you give them.
How Often Can I Give My Pet CBD?
You may find that a single dose of CBD oil is effective enough for your pet. However, for pets that need a little more relief, or who need additional help staying calm at certain times of the day, you may want to give them additional doses. Generally speaking, you can give your pet a dose of CBD oil every 8 – 12 hours as needed and as tolerated. CBD oil is an effective all-natural that is safe and generally well tolerated by our pets. CBD can be beneficial in supporting normal GI function and normal brain function, as well as promoting joint mobility and calmness. Giving your pet a quality CBD oil supplement from a trusted distributor is essential to ensure quality and purity of the product. Every batch of VETCBD’s product is lab tested to make sure your pet is getting the quality they deserve. Help your pet thrive and check out what VETCBD has to offer!