Every year, there are more and more cat owners finding the benefits of CBD to be greater and greater. CBD products have become popular recently not only as a way to support a healthy lifestyle in humans, but in supporting regular cat health as well. Cat owners all want what is best for their cats, and with the research coming out that CBD can support a healthy lifestyle for our feline friends, cat owners have come out in support of the cause.
A number of use cases have already been found in reasoning why CBD can be beneficial to your cat. Many have found that administering proper dosages of CBD to their cats helps support their emotional wellness and can relieve behavior symbolic of restlessness and tension. Others have found that CBD has been useful in supporting mobility and joint health in cats, and that with proper dosage, CBD can support your cat's overall wellness, holistic health, and well-being.
The market has become very large, though, and as much as this allows cat owners the benefit of having options to choose from, it can be overwhelming to try to find the right CBD for cats that checks every single one of your boxes.
That is why here we have compiled a list of some of the things you will want to look for to find what’s best — but first, the most frequently asked question for pet owners new to CBD.
Will CBD Get My Cat High?
CBD oil and products from reputable companies will not get your cat “high.” The high feeling generally assigned to cannabis products generally comes from the concentration of THC, and most companies will intentionally blend their products to contain less than the legal limit of THC, which is 0.3%.
Both cats and dogs can be sensitive to THC, so it’s important to monitor your pet if you give them a formula that utilizes both CBD and THC; however, if you prefer to take advantage of CBD only, look for hemp CBD, which should never contain even close to the amount of THC that would cause intoxication in your pet.
This is another reason to be intentional about which CBD products you give your cats. Many human-grade CBD products also stay under the legal limit of THC concentration, but may contain other ingredients that can be dangerous for a cat to ingest.
How To Find Quality CBD for Cats
There are a number of things to consider about CBD when buying, but they all become particularly important when buying for your pet. Not only do you want to consider the benefits of giving your cat the supplement, but you also want to make sure that the CBD you are giving them is of the highest quality you can find.
Here are some factors you will want to consider when looking for the right CBD for your cat:
- Where the company that make the CBD sources the hemp and how it is manufactured. Full spectrum CBD contains all of the compounds originally found in the hemp plant, including trace amounts of THC, while broad spectrum CBD contains all compounds except THC, while CBD isolate contains only CBD. When looking for the right products for your pet, full spectrum CBD may be most effective because its wide range of terpenes and cannabinoids allows it to support wellness in many different ways from supporting joint health to promoting calm.
- The price of the brand as compared with similar products
- Third-party lab testing to confirm CBD products are free of toxins and dangerous chemicals like pesticides
- Ingredients other than CBD included in the formula
- CBD dosage, i.e. the strength of the formula
- Customer service — can they answer questions about dosing, side effects, etc.
Not all CBD is made equally, and price isn’t always the safest indicator for a quality product. Expensive CBD doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the best, and affordable CBD doesn’t mean it doesn’t check all the boxes. The quality and ingredients are just as important, as well as the process and purity.
VETCBD Hemp is our own line of hemp-derived CBD products made for pets. Our CBD pet products were formulated by the veterinarians who care for your pets and use only premium, quality hemp grown in the USA.
We make our CBD products with full-spectrum CBD, sourced to ensure it complies with the legal limit of less than 0.3% THC while still also containing the other beneficial plant compounds found in the hemp plant.
Studies have shown that the therapeutic uses of CBD are most prominent in products made with full-spectrum CBD, as opposed to products made with CBD isolate, thanks to the way that all of the beneficial plant compounds work together in the mammalian body.
All of our products are triple-tested by third-party accredited state-licensed labs. These labs are thorough in ensuring our CBD is free from any chemicals or toxins that would compromise the quality of our products. They ensure that all of our CBD is free from heavy metals, pesticides, mycotoxins, and solvents.
When given to your cat regularly, our CBD tinctures can support your cat’s joint health and mobility, as well as regular brain function. Our tincture can also support regular function of the gastrointestinal tract as well. And last but not least, our CBD tincture can help promote calmness and relaxation in your feline friend.
VETCBD Hemp’s balms can also be beneficial to your cat. If your cat has any minor skin irritations, the CBD balm can work to provide soothing relief. It can also be applied to promote overall skin health.
How Can CBD Oil Help My Cat?
There are four main benefits that VETCBD CBD can help your cat with:
- Supporting regular brain function - Research into the endocannabinoid systems of mammals has shown that CBD helps to support healthy brain function. Your cat, being a mammal, will see these benefits with regular doses of CBD over time.
- Supports calm and relaxation - Just like with humans, one of the main benefits of CBD with cats is the calming and relaxing feeling it provides. It can ease feelings of stress and tension, especially when those feelings are caused by environmental stressors.
- Supports regular gastrointestinal health - Because the system that processes CBD extends its influence into the gut, CBD can help support regular gastrointestinal health. That said, if your pet isn’t used to ingesting oils or fats regularly, they may incidentally experience some mild GI discomfort as they get used to the oiliness of a CBD tincture.
- Supports regular bone function and joint mobility - Just like with humans, cats’ bone function and joint mobility can deteriorate as they grow older. Limited joint mobility can lower a cat's quality of life, making it difficult for them to get around like they used to and making it harder for them to be relaxed. CBD can support healthy bone function and mobility at any age.
There are so many CBD brands out there and all of them have different standards and methodologies for how they make their CBD. Not all of them hold their CBD to the same standards that we do, so be careful when shopping around and make sure that the brand has every standard you need to uphold for your pet.
VETCBD Hemp’s CBD balm and pet CBD tinctures are held up to all of the standards we set above.
We third-party test and offer products that are organic and free from GMOs. As a team including veterinarians, we want to make sure that everything we give to pets has their best interests in mind, and we research and design diligently to ensure that the wellbeing of your pet is attentively cared for.