As owners, we want the very best for our pets, and sometimes that means looking to nature for all-natural, holistic products that can help our animals feel and live better. As we explore more natural medicines for ourselves, we’ve begun to look for the same types of plant-based treatments for our best friends. A great option when considering plant-based wellness for our pets is cannabidiol, or “CBD.”
CBD is a plant-based compound found in the hemp plant. It is non-intoxicating, which means giving it to your pet won’t impair them. CBD oil is extracted from commercially grown hemp, which is a species of the cannabis sativa plant that produces a high amount of CBD, and a low amount of tetrahydrocannabinol, or “THC,” which is the compound in marijuana that delivers a feeling of euphoria or “high.”
CBD can be extracted from the hemp plant as isolate, broad spectrum or full spectrum oil. In an isolate, only CBD has been extracted; no other plant parts are present. In broad spectrum, THC has been removed, though this process can partially remove other cannabinoids like CBC, CBG and CBN. In a full spectrum oil, CBD along with all the other cannabinoids and phytonutrients present in the plant have been extracted. When the beneficial molecules of the hemp plant have been extracted in a full spectrum oil, they are able to work together synergistically to produce the maximum benefit to your pet that CBD can offer. This congruence of plant products is referred to as the “entourage effect.”
VetCBD uses full spectrum CBD oil extracted from responsibly-grown, American hemp so that your pet gets the full benefit of the hemp plant.
If you’re curious about giving your pet CBD, we’re here to help. Our products are specially formulated by veterinary professionals who specialize in medicinal cannabis.
Why Would I Give My Pet CBD?
CBD can be beneficial to your pet for multiple reasons. It’s safe and all-natural, and can help a restless pet to relax and remain calm. CBD can help support your pet’s brain and joint health, giving them an overall wellness benefit that can help them live healthier, happier lives.
The most commons benefits a pet can receive from CBD are as follows:
- CBD supports joint mobility. Various research has shown how CBD supports dogs move more freely without any notable side effects.
- CBD supports normal brain function. CBD interacts with an animal’s own endocannabinoid system. This system (also found in humans) plays a role in things like mood, appetite, sleep, memory, and occasional stress. Because CBD interacts with the receptors in this system, it is thought it can help ease issues a pet may be experiencing with them. Because our pets’ brains are full of endocannabinoid receptors (many more than what are found in the human brain), the use of CBD oil to support brain function in our pets can be beneficial, and can contribute to healthy memory and overall brain health.
- CBD helps support normal GI system function. Nothing is worse than seeing your pet suffering from a gastrointestinal issue. Whether they are experiencing nausea and vomiting from something they ate, CBD can aid in supporting these types of tummy troubles, getting your pet back to their usual disposition.
- CBD helps to calm your pet. It may be effective in keeping your pet calm, even when you are away. A pet that becomes restless when apart from their owner can cause separation stress and harm to themselves and to their owner (not to mention to their owner’s belongings). Giving your pet CBD can reduce this restlessness and help keep them calm.
How Much CBD Should I Give My Pet?While there are currently no standard guidelines indicating CBD dosage for your pets, you can make an informed decision about the amount of CBD oil that will benefit your pet based on your pet’s weight and health. You should always consult your pet’s veterinary professional before starting any kind of treatment, including CBD oil treatment. When considering CBD treatment, consider these variables:
- Your pet’s weight
- The potency (concentration) of your CBD oil
- Your pet’s overall health
A good rule of thumb is to begin your pet’s CBD dosage by offering them .2mg of CBD oil per pound of body weight. Thus, if your pet weighs 10 pounds, you would give them a dosage of 2mg of CBD oil.
It’s always best to start off with a smaller dose, and increase the dose as tolerated and as needed. While CBD is generally well tolerated by pets, you may need less CBD than the standard dose.
Here are some suggested dosing guidelines for VetCBD’s products based on the most common uses of CBD for pets.
|Pet’s Weight||CBD Dosage from Tincture Dropper|
|Above 100 pounds||2.5+ml|
If you're looking for veterinarian formulated, lab tested CBD for your dog, cat, or horse, check out our CBD tinctures and CBD calming soft chews. We offer free support from veterinary professionals by email or phone, and a 30 day money back guarantee!
How Long Does CBD Take to Start Working?
You’ll be happy to know that the full effects of a CBD oil treatment can be experienced by your pet within about 1 - 2 hours after administration. While CBD can begin to work within 15 minutes after dosage, the full benefit of the treatment may take up to two hours.
How Long Does it Last?
The effects of a single dose of CBD oil will be enough for your pet for approximately 8 - 12 hours. Your pet’s own metabolism of CBD may vary based on his or her health, size, and the concentration of CBD oil you give them.
How Often Can I Give My Pet CBD?
You may find that a single dose of CBD oil is effective enough for your pet. However, for pets that need a little more help, or who need additional help staying calm at certain times of the day, you may want to give them additional doses.
Generally speaking, you can give your pet a dose of CBD oil every 8 - 12 hours as needed and as tolerated. CBD oil is an effective all-natural supplement that is safe and generally well tolerated by our pets.
Giving your pet quality CBD oil from a trusted distributor is essential to ensure safety and purity of the product. Every batch of VetCBD’s product is lab tested to make sure your pet is getting the quality they deserve. Help your pet thrive and check out what VetCBD has to offer!